On iPhone, you may sometimes need to make a photo PNG. Normally a PNG image takes up more space than a JPG. But if you only need a certain format in your business and you only have an iPhone, it may become necessary.
On iPhone, screenshots are saved as .png files, while photos taken with the camera are saved as .jpg or .heif files. iOS itself doesn’t have any default options to make a photo PNG in the camera, Photos app, or iCloud Drive, but you can easily follow this guide to make an image PNG on iPhone without installing a third-party app.
Make iPhone photo PNG
Apple’s mobile processor can handle conversion from HEIC, HEIF, JPG, GIF, TIFF, JPEG-2000, BMP to PNG format quite easily. You don’t need an application other than Apple’s software for this.
1. First, run the application called Shortcuts in your application library. If you deleted it later, you can get the app from the Apple Store.
2. Within the Shortcuts app, tap the + sign at the top right and start a new shortcut.
3. Write a name for the shortcut so you can understand what it serves later.
4. Add action “Select Photos” by tapping “Add Action” button.
5. Then expand the action by tapping the right arrow on the side. Restrict it to only “images” in the “include” section. Enable “Select more than one”.
6. Find and add the “Convert image” action from “Search for apps and actions” at the bottom of the app. Then change the target image type to convert from JPG to PNG. Finally, add the “Save to photo album” action from the same place.
7. Our shortcut is ready! Tap the x icon in the top right and close the shortcut editing screen. Now run the shortcut and select the photos you want to convert and tap the “add” button. The PNG versions of the photos you selected will be saved in the photo album.