On iPhone, videos can take up a lot of space. Video files can take up a lot of space on your Mac or iPhone. Videos stored on your iPhone can quickly consume your storage space. If you are running out of space, you can delete some video files or reduce the file size. By lowering video quality on iPhone, you can keep more video files and save some space at the same time.
In this tutorial, we will show you some easy ways to reduce video size on iPhone. It should be noted that reducing the file size of a video will cause some degree of quality loss. To save space initially, you can use the camera settings to record videos at a lower quality, or lower the quality of a previously shot video.
iPhone video recording setting
This is useful for users who like to save a lot of videos on their iPhone but are worried that they will fill up the storage space. You can save the video in a lower resolution to save space and here’s how to do it.
1. Open the Settings app. Scroll down until the camera option appears.
2. Enter the camera settings and select “Video Recording”.
3. Here you can save a significant amount of file size by reducing the video recording quality to a lower quality such as 1080p instead of 4K.
4. You can do the same step by switching to “Slow Motion” from the previous menu, reducing the quality to 720p for slow motion videos.
Reducing video quality
You can lower the quality of a large video that was previously shot with high quality. You do not need to install an external application for this.
1. First, run the application called Shortcuts in your application library. If you deleted it later, you can get the app from the Apple Store.
2. Within the Shortcuts app, tap the + sign at the top right and start a new shortcut.
3. Write a name for the shortcut so you can understand what it serves later.
4. Add action “Select Photos” by tapping “Add Action” button.
5. Then expand the action by tapping the right arrow on the side. In the “Include” section, restrict it to “videos” only.
6. Find and add the “Encode” action from the “Search for applications and processes” section at the bottom of the application. Then expand the action with the right arrow next to the Encode action. Find the “1280×720” option in the size parameter. This allows the video to be downscaled to 720p resolution. 720p is HD image quality and is the most basic size for low size.
7. Finally, add the “Save to photo album” action.
8. Our shortcut is ready! Tap the x icon in the top right and close the shortcut editing screen. Now run the shortcut and select the video you want to convert and tap the “add” button. The reduced-size versions of the videos you select will be saved in the photo album.